Friday, March 10, 2006

The moment you've all been waiting for. Here it is, the group I took to UIL choir contest on Wednesday. We got a 2 on stage, WHICH WE DESERVED A 1 AND EVERY SINGLE PERSON THAT HEARD...except the judges...thought we deserved a 1 as well. Even listening to the CD I wonder how in the world we got a 2. There were a bunch of other choirs from Irving that competed yesterday and they agreed that the judges were hard as nails!! Sometimes I wonder why I even bother. I don't understand the UIL judge phenomenon. I feel like they feel like they are important and feel the need to pick every single middle school apart. They have no idea where my kids have come from and what it took to have them where they are today! It's such a disappointment to get our ratings after we're SURE we nailed it. I always want to quit teaching after UIL contest. I feel like everyone bases whether or not a choir is good by your UIL scores. I totally disagree. And, I will never put UIL a priority for as long as I am teaching. My girls did amazing, and I've put up with alot from the them this year. ALOT OF ATTITUDE...but the look on their faces when we were on that stage was priceless. This picture was taken in the warm up room right before we went on stage. I let all the girls take their shoes off. My favorite part is the little black girl, Josie, on the front row who WORE BOOTS! But, that's all she had and I let her wear them......

5 comments:

campers said...

I know you are an awesome music teacher....I don't need a UIL judge to tell me that! What matters is that you make a difference in all your student's lives and I know that they will be forever changed, because they had Ms. Carrigan as a teacher!

Kate said...

I'm still impressed that you teach middle school choir. I don't think I could handle having that many kids at once without them sitting calmly in desks! Our girls got a 3 and 4 at UIL, so don't be discouraged about your 2. You worked hard for it, and I know your girls appreciate having you as their teacher. Enjoy your Spring Break!!

christine pinson said...

oh molly that is frustrating i know...but i also know that you are a wonderful teacher...and way to go, you, for not letting them define themselves based on their UIL scores...that does happen in way too many programs...

but now...it's spring break...and you need to let all of it go and just have a break! and...it would be a great idea for you to CALL ME too!!! haha, love you...but if you drive past my apartments one more time without calling, and i know you know which ones i mean, because you USED TO LIVE HERE...well, then, i might just have to be really sad and cry!

Unknown said...

Molly- you are a saint..... seriously. You have no idea the difference you are making in those girls' lives! Looking at those pics takes me back to my choir competions and those are some really special/fond memories.... the girls will not forget that feeling they had on stage (regardless of the score) and you helped get them there!

leslie said...

I finally changed your link on my blog! It works now. Sorry it took me so long!