Monday, January 15, 2007

Another Wreck.....

Yes, you heard it, Peter and I had a NASTY wreck yesterday morning!

Here's how it went down.

We were actually supposed to go to Abilene this weekend for a hunting trip. I of course was not hunting, but Peter, my dad and our friend Thomas were going to duck hunt. That got cancelled because we all took a look at the weather. We would have made it Abilene fine, but we would have not made it back in a timely manner. So, Friday, Mallory and Jason Krieger asked us to housesit for them out in Providence. Some of you know where Providence is, but if you don't it's past Denton and close to Oklahoma! That's what I feel like anyways. So, we had a nice dinner at Johnny Carino's on Friday night and headed out there for the weekend. We actually left at 7am on Saturday morning to drive up to the church for Celebrate Recovery Step Study. We were there until around 10:30 and decided to head on out back to Providence. It takes 30 minutes to get there from the church. When we got to the house, we realized that Peter had dropped the key out of his jacket pocket somewhere in the church, we hoped anyway! So, we drove 30 minutes back to the church. Luckily we got a key for the church and went on the hunt. Apparently, someone had picked up the key. We quickly figured that out and headed out to their house back in Denton towards Providence! Quite annoying I might add. We got the key and decided to eat lunch at a barbeque joint in Denton. We got back to Providence aroudn 1:30 and were there the rest of the evening. Yesterday morning I woke up to Peter scurrying around....he doesn't like to sleep in. He said he had already checked the weather and that we needed to go ahead and leave because it was only going to get worse. So, around 8:30am, we bundled up and packed up our stuff and got in the truck. At this point, it wasn't raining and the roads seemed fine. We thought we had beat the weather. We were driving on Highway 380 which is a 7 lane highway and came up on a bridge that was about 2 miles long. We were going along with the traffic at about 50mph, maybe a little more than that. Well, there the black ice appeared. The back end of the truck spinned around and we lost control. Peter let off the brakes and tried to steer, but it quickly moved us over into the opposite 3 lanes of traffic, thankfully no cars were coming. Our car was turned side ways and we ran smack dab into the cement guard rail going about 50. Did I mention we were on a bridge????? Yes, my first thought was, "We're going off the bridge!" So, I closed my eyes, grabbed Peter's arm and screamed bloody murder. We hit the cement and it ping ponged us back into the turn lane in the middle of the highway turning us back the same direction we were traveling. The airbags definitley went off! We looked at each other and asked if each were okay. I of course smelled smoke from the airbags, so I opened the door. Well my door was a little over into the traveling lane of traffic, so Peter quickly told me to close the door. I sat there for a moment to regain my breath and started thinking about us going off the bridge and just started balling!! We both hurt immediately. Both of our necks from whip lash for sure. The seat belt left bruises on my collar bone, and both of my hip bones. This morning, I felt like I had done a lower ab workout. It's very sore! For some reason the top of my foot is extremely bruised along with my knee cap. Peter somehow scraped his leg. In the process of me screaming, I accidentally bit down on my tongue when we hit the wall. 15 minutes later, my tongue was SO swollen! I laugh about it now because I was talking in a lateral lisp! That was the most annoying part! :)

The sherriff pulled up behind us about 2 minutes after the wreck and asked if we were okay. As he was talking to us, another truck down the road started spinning and hit the guard rail. It was nuts! And, then quickly following that wreck, here comes the sand trucks to sand the bridge. Awesome. :) The tow truck guy gave us a ride to the collision center and then because we couldn't get a hold of anyone to come get us, he ever so kindly took us to a diner right off 35 in Denton. We finally got a hold of one of my friends and her husband came to get us.

The collision center called this morning, and Peter's truck is definitly totalled. Nice. So, he has a cute little rent car. I was so scared for him to drive to work, but he did and he made it safely.......

Kind of a damper in the weekend, but we're so thankful we're alive and not hurt majorly!
I tell you what, there's something about the Carrigan girls and wrecks! Ridiculous I say!!!!!

Anyways, be safe today!

6 comments:

Rachel DeBell said...

OH my goodness!! That totally freaks me out!! You poor thing...why didn't you call???

andydawn said...

I am glad yall are ok.....that is awful!!! This Ice storm is crazy..it is supposed to hit us tomorrow:(

campers said...

So glad y'all are ok! The roads down here are awful, glad y'all didn't come! I sure do have alot of memories with you that involve wrecks!!!! One involving my neighbor smashing the back end of us!!!

ThePoeFam said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I can't believe it!! The roads were SO nasty...I'm so thankful that you're ok! I wish that you would have called Matt and I...next time, have us on your speed dial! Are you still sore or are you better now!? Hope all is well! By the way, we want to have you and Peter over for dinner soon...let me know a break in your night time schedule!!! WE LOVE YOU!!!!

the thorntons said...

Holy Cow! I'm so glad you and Peter are okay. I've had more wrecks with you than I care to remember!! Our weather was supposed to get bad last night, but it didn't. Houstonians don't know what to do with weather below 50. It's funny!! I love ya! :-)

Ashley said...

DUDE...